Grants Made – Fiscal Year 2017-2018
The Board of Directors decided that there would be a focus, “ABUSE, NEGLECT, DOMESTIC VIOLENCE,” for the Foundation’s 2017-18 grantmaking cycle. Non-profit agencies, whose primary focus is addressing the issues of abuse or neglect or domestic violence, were invited to apply for Core Operating Support funding or funding for an Existing Program or a New Program. Other agencies were invited to apply for funding for an Existing Program or a New Program, which addressed the focus.
The Board of Directors awarded two Core Operating Support Grants, three Existing Program Grants and five New Program Grants. The awardees and the funded programs appear below.
- Menchville House Ministries, Inc. – $10,000, Core Operating Support
- Natasha House – $20,000, Core Operating Support
- Center for Child and Family Services – $45,000 for the Peaceful Families Program
- Child Development Resources, Inc. – $35,000 for the Parents as Teachers Program
- Postpartum Support Virginia – $26,180 to expand its services to Newport News and Hampton
- Commonwealth Catholic Charities – $50,000 for Refugee Mental Health Support Services
- Housing Development Corporation of Hampton Roads – $20,000 to assist with providing a substantial down payment to purchase a house.
- Menchville House Ministries, Inc. – $20,000 to provide a 2018 summer camp for 5-12 year olds living at Menchville House
- Transitions Family Violence Services – $50,000 to fund Safe Horizon
- Virginia Beach Justice Initiative – $50,000 to provide services to the residents of “Restoring Hope,” a crisis stabilization home.
$25,500 was awarded to Mary Immaculate Hospital to support its Mission of “Being Good Help to Those in Need,” especially the poor on the Peninsula.
$140,250 was awarded to the Bernardine Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis (Bernardine Franciscan Sisters) to further its mission and ministries in the USA, Brazil, Africa and the Dominican Republic.